Vavilov International School Week for Young Scientists
On March 15-21, 2015 the Vavilov Institute announces the Vavilov International School Week for Young Scientists entitled PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES AND THEIR UTILIZATION IN CROP BREEDING PRACTICE. The classes will be conducted by the leading scientists of VIR and curators of crop genetic resources collections as well as scientific researchers from the related institutions. Lectures and workshops will be dedicated to the following topics:
- Plant genetic resources (PGR): the need of their collecting, conservation and studying.
- PGR diversity (botanical, molecular, biochemical and other aspects).
- Studying the source material for crop breeding with the use of a set of field and laboratory-based genetic diversity screening methods.
- Searching for and development of sources and donors according to such traits as yield, adaptability and quality.
- Using statistical techniques and computer analysis for collecting, storage and interpretation of the data and results of field and laboratory-based PGR research.
- Modern methods of plant germplasm conservation in the genebank system.